A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:34 am

Back over on the Battlefield forums, a topic starts some years ago about how the fire critical effect wasn't very useful, especially compared to the other critical effects.

But today, a spark of an idea appeared of how to make the critical effect actually decent and not just annoying. There are quite a few changes to it, actually.

1. This one's actually a bug that SHOULD be fixed regardless of anything else, but units that  die to the effects of burning don't count as being killed by the unit that inflicted the burn. This was very annoying when my Liche burned an enemy Hero who then ran off and died a few seconds later. I was not awarded my Hero kill! Evil or Very Mad

2. Prevent HP regen. One of the main reasons why burning feels so weak is that the unit can still regen their HP while under the effect. This means units with high HP regen can completely shrug off the effect as if it didn't exist. By stopping HP regen when on fire will make the effect noticeable. DONE!

3. Units that are stationary when on fire loose twice as much HP from the effect than they would if they were left to run around. Normally when a unit is on fire, but can attack - it simply will continue to attack as normal, only running around when there's no orders given an no units to attack. In most cases, the mechanic of running around gets completely missed, as the units continue to fight through it. By making stationary units suffer extra damage means that the owner of them now must decide whether to continue attacking at the cost of additional HP loss or pull back those units and have them try to survive the effect.

4. The HP loss could be dependent upon the base damage of the unit that inflicted the effect, being at 10% of the damage. For example. If a unit deals 20 fire damage and scores the effect, the burning amount will be 2 per second (like it is now). If a unit deals 50 fire damage and score the effect (like the original Fire Dragon), the HP loss will be 5 per second. Of course, this combined with the above means a stationary unit set on fire by the original Fire Dragon would loose 10HP per second and would pretty much have to run around in an attempt to survive. DONE!

These alterations shouldn't really be applied to the effects of the Berserker spell, as the above is purely for making the critical effects of fire a bit more note worthy.

P.S: How about changing the colour of the Berserker's fire effect? Blue perhaps?

Last edited by Patrick_the_Winekiller on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Checking what's done.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance

PostSubject: Re: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:34 am

Sounds good, though I'm concerned the damage could potentially be too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Re: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 am

Yeah 5 or even 10 damage per second may seem a little high. Fortunately though, there's not much in the game that deals such high fire damage and certainly not something that can be massed produced.

But perhaps maybe the penalty for being stationary should be 50% more HP loss, instead of double? (But rounded up.)

So a 50 fire damage attack would deal 5dps or 8dps if the unit is stationary. A 30 fire damage attack would deal 3dps or 5dps if the unit is stationary etc..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance

PostSubject: Re: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:49 pm

Before I forget, crushing crits need to be like they are in 1.03.23. Putting combat down to 1 is equivalent to death pale. DONE!

Last edited by Patrick_the_Winekiller on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Checking what's done.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:29 pm

FYI, the time and damage for these in vanilla are as follows:

generic immolation (any fire critical hit):
2 dps
15 seconds
severe immolation (any fire deathblow I think):
5 dps
60 seconds
spell immolation (berserk):
1 dps
180 seconds

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-protectors.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!   

Back to top Go down

Don't flame me, but I have a hot idea for burning!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1