A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:10 am

So today I decided to update my Rock River tiles, which have been in need for an update for some time now. I had always planned to remove the green algae effect and add stepping stones to the cross-over.

But, while doing so, I've made a final decision that I'm going to go over every single river tile and remove the "reflecting" effect that they were given from when they were cloned from the original WBC1 tile forms. Simply put, the effect  didn't achieve much and it made the rivers somewhat clash with the actual coasts. In addition to that, another thing that I had been thinking about which I'm going to sort out next, is making the river banks on the grass rivers "dirty". I did this as part of my test small grass-lake tiles and have decided that all grass rivers will be given this treatment. This will mean that the river no longer pushes right up against the grass, but instead pushes into some dirt/mud before hitting the grass.

Now, none of these should need their .ter files updated, but there is one river set that may - the river set where the grass and rock rivers collide and over a cliff. I say this because today I actually did a lot of work on them (even though it didn't take long) and totally turned around my opinion about this tile set. With the help of watching TV while editing them that ensured I wouldn't start to feel bored and thus could continue to work at maximum interest, I've managed to turn around this once-despised tile set to one of my favorites:

I'm sure you can see which one is the updated one. :p The river actually looks like it's flowing down the cliff straight. (And I may even make it animated with water splashed at the bottom!) All the other 3 in this particular set have received the same treatment, but I still need to add the mud/dirt to the grass banks for them all, as well as the rest of the grass rivers, so the top part still looks a little rough at the moment.

I also had a spark of an idea while editing these - how about a "y" style split/merge? This way 2 rivers could merge into a single one and vice verse. Another idea, which is actually a really old one, is to make it so the river runs thin and ends. I'll probably make that old idea a reality, too!

But we'll have to see how far I get before I get bored and move on again. :p Hopefully, watching TV again while dealing with these should keep me entertained through to the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Re: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   Thu May 07, 2015 3:09 am

Just a little heads up as to what I've been working on - I'm currently on the verge of releasing my next update for Kharn Pak Rivers.

The update improves every single river based tile in the pack. The improvements are things like generalized water across all the river tiles, so they identically match the WBC3 ocean, I've added a dirt / mud transition between the grass and the river so it doesn't look tacked on. The cliff tiles have been massively improved - they now look as if the river is actually going over a cliff. And the rock rivers cross-overs are more defined, making it as obvious as the grass equivalents.

In addition to that, I've added 8 entirely new tiles. 4 grass river ends and 4 grass river "y" join / split tiles. But before I release the pack, I also want to make the same new tiles for the rock rivers. Fortunately, it wont take as long as the grass versions, but of course, will be done when it's done so no specified date. tongue

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   Thu May 07, 2015 4:34 am

Looking forward to it!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-protectors.webs.com
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Re: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   Thu May 07, 2015 5:09 am

Here's a quick example of the things you can now do with the new Y join / split tiles (You can also see one of the new ending tiles in this picture, too.)
Although you really shouldn't be making rivers that look as un-natural as that, but the flexibility to do so is there. :p

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/etheria/images/c/c5/Night_Dragon.png/revision/latest?cb=20150506180609 (Direct link, in case the forum wont show the image at a decent size)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Re: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   Sat May 09, 2015 8:37 am

The pack has now been updated and uploaded to WBC3Stuff.

I must say that I didn't do much testing at all, so if you see something that you think is amiss, whether its alignment issues or .ter related bugs, let me know and I'll look into it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)   

Back to top Go down

Kharn's tile thread (Because I always have one)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1