A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

[FIXED] Wrong hero progression

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Onimenokatana
Prince
Prince

PostSubject: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:55 am

Hello, first of all thank you very much for all the work you've done and you will do on this awesome game I play since 2005. A couple days ago I searched for a way to modify the hero and I found The Protectors, and after more than 10 years of the same game (campaign finished various times, editor proficiency and so on), you could only imagine my joy. So I downloaded the mod and played it, and it's very good, but I think I found some bugs that pretty much annoy me, because of the hero progression that in this game, at least for me, is everything.

Apart from the visual bugs, like the yellow experience bar under the portrait not always showing progresses in 0.8.6 (such times it’s not highlighted at all, like it’s on 0 xp), what I can't find a way to overcome until now is a problem with the Unit Editor MFC, first of all. When I open a .xcr TPC file, the editor half of the times crashes at the start, or the other half it opens the file but the values don't make sense:
Spoiler:

When I open a .xcr of the original WBC3, instead, it works perfectly. I would like to utilize the editor for experiments with skills and so on, so I’d like a solution to this if possible. I already deleted the hero .xcr, but the problem goes on when the file is created again after a make up a new hero. I experienced this both in 0.8.5 and 0.8.6. May it be because the editor is created for the vanilla game and doesn’t recognize new classes, skills etc? In that case, is there a new version? Can you link it please?

Also I have another problem with the progression of the heroes (I tried several heroes just to be sure): each level up is counted as two, but not in points rewarded (5 per level, right?). So if I'm at lv10 and gain 3 levels in battle, after it I'll get 15 points but will be at level 16 (10 + 3x2). Here's a screen:
Spoiler:

It seems I'm gaining half of the level points because of this: if I go from lv10 to lv16 I should have 30 points to allocate, instead I have 15 of them because during the game I leveled up 3 times as intended, but after the battle the gained levels are counted as doubled (giving me, however, the right amount of points, not doubled).

Also I would like to know if the Summoning ability tone up/down doesn't show up because it's intended (and I have all spells at lv1 at that point). Don’t know how to level up that skill, if I level the spells the Summoning skill would always remain at that point: 0 if the hero doesn’t have sinergy, or 2 if he has. In both cases the +/- doesn’t show up when allocating points during a level up. Is it intended?

Last but not least, when I check afterwards the info on the hero before another battle, it tells me I have 6 points in Dark Lord when I actually have only 2 as you can see in the previous screen above:
Spoiler:

Dunno if there are efficient workarounds for these bugs. I tried removing TPC folder in My documents, didn’t work; also I uninstalled 0.8.6 and went for 0.8.5, and I saw the hero levels problem is not present in this build. However, after overwriting it with the 0.8.6, the game doesn’t even start anymore because of this:
Spoiler:

I had to remove it entirely and reinstall 0.8.6 from scratch, the game works again (I'm saying just FYI, it may replicate on an upgrade installation from 0.8.5 with other people maybe) but in this build the hero levels problem persists.

Last question: heroes can’t level up during battles like in WBC3, but only after the battles. Is it intended?

Excuse me for the long thread, thanks for the answers and, expecially, for all the awesome work you're doing. Also, if I'll have spare time, I could work on an Italian translation (sorry for my English btw, more capable at understanding it than writing it   No).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kharn
Earth Moulder
Earth Moulder

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:27 am

I can comfortably answer 2 of those:

The Hero data in The Protectors is much different to the vanilla game. As such, old Hero Editors such as Dal Gurak's one are no longer compatible with The protectors - simply don't use it.
And Heroes no longer leveling up in the middle of a battle is indeed intended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Onimenokatana
Prince
Prince

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 am

Thank you very much Kharn. Do you know something else that works with TPC? Changing skills and stats like battle fought/won etc.

So only the biggest problem remains.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joe the Bartender
Keeper of Balance
Keeper of Balance

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:08 pm

Onimenokatana wrote:
what I can't find a way to overcome until now is a problem with the Unit Editor MFC
I'm not sure if the Hero Editor will ever be updated to support the Protectors, at least not right now since there's still a lot of hero changes to be made.

Onimenokatana wrote:
Also I have another problem with the progression of the heroes (I tried several heroes just to be sure): each level up is counted as two, but not in points rewarded
Apparantly the hero system only counts every other level when it allocates skill points. A hotfix may be necessary for this one, as it's a critical bug!

Onimenokatana wrote:
Also I would like to know if the Summoning ability tone up/down doesn't show up because it's intended (and I have all spells at lv1 at that point). Don’t know how to level up that skill, if I level the spells the Summoning skill would always remain at that point: 0 if the hero doesn’t have sinergy, or 2 if he has. In both cases the +/- doesn’t show up when allocating points during a level up. Is it intended?
This is a work in progress, eventually the spell spheres won't even show up in the Skill Tree, they'll only be seen on the Spells tab.

Onimenokatana wrote:
Last but not least, when I check afterwards the info on the hero before another battle, it tells me I have 6 points in Dark Lord when I actually have only 2 as you can see in the previous screen
Do you have an item equipped which gives +4 Morale for the Dark Elves (essentially giving +4 Dark Lord)?

Onimenokatana wrote:
also I uninstalled 0.8.6 and went for 0.8.5, and I saw the hero levels problem is not present in this build. However, after overwriting it with the 0.8.6, the game doesn’t even start anymore
0.8.6 only functions on a 100% clean install (including the My Documents > The Protectors folder), seems the WoodElves.xcr got corrupted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://etheria.wikia.com/wiki/User_talk:Joe_the_Bartender
Onimenokatana
Prince
Prince

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Thanks a lot Joe. Yes, probably I had the banner that increased morale, so it's not a bug but the equipment bonuses are included? Don't like it but whatever, the important thing is that it's not a bug Laughing

I didn't know about the clean install, that's good to know. And I hope that one day there will be an Editor like MFC to edit the heroes at least... Maybe with the 1.0 version? I love you

So the only problem is the most critical one, double levels gained. Is it possible to replicate it and create a hotfix? I don't feel the urgence to play the game knowing that my hero will be a temporary one (because of the half progression) Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Onimenokatana wrote:
So the only problem is the most critical one, double levels gained. Is it possible to replicate it and create a hotfix? I don't feel the urgence to play the game knowing that my hero will be a temporary one (because of the half progression) Sad
I will have a hotfix ready in the next weeks. It's weird we didn't notice this in the dev version, but I think it's an easy fix and shouldn't take too long.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-protectors.webs.com
Onimenokatana
Prince
Prince

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Thank you Patrick. I'm eager to play this awesome version. Keep up the good work!
Is a notification planned for anyone, at the new hotfix release? Sorry for asking, I'm a new user so I dunno how it works Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:34 pm

If you have registered on the main website or are tracking us on moddb, you will be notified of the new release instantly.

Oh and about the italian translation, I'm all up for it, ready to explain all the files that need editing. But we'll talk about this later if you're still interested.

Back to top Go down
Onimenokatana
Prince
Prince

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes I'm already registered and now I'll track the mod on the other site too, thanks!
For the translation I'm up to it, maybe when you'll have a more "definitive" version to translate (I saw a different mechanics for the hero skills i.e.), and I should start from translating the user interface so you'd have all the time to change the campaign dialogues. I already subbed lots of anime and translated a flash game, shouldn't have problems with the one and only game that saw me grew up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 am

Fixed in 0.8.6a. Topic closed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Wrong hero progression   

Back to top Go down