A place to discuss about The Protectors mod for Warlords Battlecry 3. Visit http://the-protectors.webs.com for more info.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

[FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
warlord4

PostSubject: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:16 pm

warlord4484 here. I guess 8 characters is max? lol.

Just installed it, had no problems. (still seeding. :p) Same with game startup.
The first thing I did was play a match on 'Tower Defense', and when I started it, no buildings or units were shown. I could select them, granted I was just guessing where to click, but I couldn't see anything but terrain, and my control panel. Everything was functional; I found a builder and had him build something, I found the building the 'announcer' wanted me to and 'ctrl+d'ed it, and it worked. Somehow I randomly won that match, and I went to a random map. Same deal. Everything works fine, it seems, I just can't see anything. Even on the retinue screen, or when I select 'build' with my hero or peasant. Nothing seems to pop up, but if I scroll over it, I see the tool tip for the building my cursor is currently on.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Everything besides that works fine. Game intro movies, sound, and pregame menus, all good.

Other than that, I took the hero quiz and liked it a lot. I don't know if questions are random order, but Q.7 on mine, asking what weapon I'd use or something, text was cut off the end of 2 of the answers I could select. Something about telekinesis and one other one. Figured I'd mention it. Oh, and I think some of the questions in the quiz might contain minor spoilers for the campaign. :p

The only thing I'd say you could add would be rollover tips for the proficiencies and class abilities and stuff. I don't remember how much of a bonus you said proficiencies gave, though I remember they were pretty small, and also I've never played a couple of classes and don't know what all the abilities do exactly. I love that you can see them when you're building a hero, but if there's any way I could see what the abilities that I'll have access to do, that would be nice. Very Happy Not a big deal though.

Oh, one more thing. Did animals always appear on the mini map? Or is that new? (btw, my minimap works fine as well. I can see where units and buildings should be appearing on there)
Back to top Go down
warlord4

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Oh, and to clarify, when I select a unit or building, I can see the selection ring, and in the bottom right of my control panel, I can see a health bar. That's all though.
Back to top Go down
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:47 pm

Hello and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The invisible units and buildings bug is well known throughout the community (don't know how you, of all people, missed it). Two quick getaways: 1, try to run the game in windows xp compatibility mode or 2, get VirtualBox (free) and set up a 2 GB RAM Windows XP virtual machine. It seems that my current compiler does not work well with 64 bit machines, but I will try to fix this in the next patch (0.5.1)

Critters are shown on the map (along with lair monsters) as their importance is higher.

The quiz is still experimental and the test questions do contain spoilers (lol). Sorry for the inconvenience.

What happened in TowerDefense is that you destroyed your beacon (a.k.a. gave up). Regardless of which team wins, all players get a victory screen at the moment.

Please do tell if the above solution works fine. I have received several other reports of this bug and it might be of great help to them if every step you make is posted here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-protectors.webs.com
warlord4484
Squire
Squire

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm

Yeah, man. Worked perfect. I guess since I've never had this problem, never had to find out how to fix it. :p I tried running as administrator when it first happened, as that's been the current trend of gaming problems I've been having, but not compatibility.

So yeah, for those who don't know, right click the icon on your desktop or wherever it is, and go to preferences - compatibility - and xp service pack 3, then click apply.

Everything seems to be working really well. Just played a few games. One thing I noticed: It seems that every time the 'announcer' for Tower Defense pops up, my scroll speed is switched back to default in the game options. 3 is way too fast for me, so I change it to 1. It might just be a coincidence, because I only noted the correlation with the announcer once, but it reset multiple times during the match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/etheriantears
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

That is true, nis files reset the scroll speed to 3, because some scripts actually freeze the screen. We will fix this in the upcoming patch (0.5.1) so that the scroll speed is reset to it's original value (defined by each user in the options screen).

Thank you for noticing, never thought somebody actually plays with a scroll speed of less than 3 ^^
Back to top Go down
warlord4484
Squire
Squire

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Heh, yeah, I move around mostly with the mini map, besides in my base, which I build much too concentrated (though, I keep doing it), so I never need to scroll too far, hence I don't want it fast. It would be much appreciated to get that fixed. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.freewebs.com/etheriantears
Patrick_the_Winekiller
Devourer of bugs
Devourer of bugs

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Fixed in 0.5.1 and later. Topic closed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions   

Back to top Go down

[FIXED] Units/buildings invisible and first impressions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1